We have been taking Wyatt to an ENT for a few months now and had been trying to avoid getting tubes put in his ears and his adenoids removed. However, at the last appointment we made the decision to have tubes put in and if the adenoids needed to be removed the doctor would make the call when he was in surgery. Well the surgery came faster then we thought. We decided on Monday and on Thursday (April 21st) at 0700 we were at Children's Hospital in Detroit with Wyatt. Wyatt could not eat or drink in the morning which I thought would be devastating but he was a trooper. I got him up early took him straight to the car and went to pick Max up from work and Wyatt was in a great mood. Wyatt got all checked in and he weighed 22 lbs 11oz and was 33 inches tall - he got changed into his hospital gown which was super cute.
They were giving all the kids Easter Baskets that went into surgery that day, which was nice because it kept him somewhat entertained while we waited to be taken to surgery. I was able to go in with him while they put him to sleep. It was pretty hard on me as I helped hold him down as they put him to sleep.
We waited for about 30 minutes for him to get out of surgery and then another 45 or so before we could go in and see him. They did end up taking his adenoids out because they were enlarged and they said he had a lot of mucus and infection in his ears and throat. He was in pain after surgery but was able to fall asleep on me for awhile, however when he woke up he always would pull on the IV and say "let go, let go" - he really wanted that IV out of his hand. We were discharged around 1230 and on the way home Wyatt wanted to hold my hand as he fell asleep in his car seat. I would try and get my figure out of his grip but every time I moved my hand he woke up and wanted me to hold his hand. Overall he did great, he took Tylenol with codeine 3 times, we watched a lot of sesame street, had a treat of ice cream and I slept with him on the couch from 330 to 600 the night of his surgery. But by Friday he had completely bounced back and you could not even tell he had surgery. And let me tell you I noticed a difference the first night -- I could not hear him breathing on his monitor so I had to go up and check to see if he was still breathing because I could always hear him breath before. I also think he sleeps more soundly as I do not hear him flop around as much either. So far it was a great decision.
The kids really enjoyed Easter this year. We had a full day on Easter Sunday (unfortunately Max had to work): went to church, went to Brunch at the Davison Country Club and then went to the firestation to see Max.
Kaylynn loved the Easter Bunny she snuggled right up to him. Wyatt on the other hand cried every time we mentioned the Easter Bunny and sitting on his lap.
It was awesome to have my Grandparents up to celebrate Easter with us. Wyatt got to hang out with his Great Grandpa Bob.
Four generations!
Here are a few more photos from Easter and the visit with my Grandparents. It was a great weekend.




Awww! What a trooper with his surgery! It is hard on the parents seeing them go thru surgeries and the recooperation but sounds like he did great! Glad it's noticably helping him already too!!
ReplyDeleteJamie
Wonderful update, Jen.
ReplyDeleteSo glad Wyatt is thru with the surgery.
I remember him getting such a kick out of the Easter Bunny last year. What a difference a year makes. Be interesting to see what Kaylynn thinks next year.
Can't believe Wyatt is almost 2 and Kaylynn is 10 months!
4 gen pic is nice!
Looking forward to our trip out.