Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Our Adoption Journey

In April of 2006 Max and I decided that we wanted to start our family. Over the next three years we went through many doctors appointments, several infertility treatments and one surgery, however were never able to become pregnant. God had a different plan for our family and in December of 2008 we had a decision to make. We either try in-vitro fertilization or to apply to be come foster parents. Max and I both felt God leading us down the path of becoming foster parents with the hope of adopting in the future.  In January 2009 we completed the 20 page autobiography and 12 hours of training to start the process of becoming foster parents. Through that process we met a couple (Megan and Joel) about our age also wanting to become foster parents. Unknown to us through this friendship would be how we meet Chris and Donna (Wyatt's birthparents). 
Two days after we finished our foster parent training Megan called me and asked me if I knew much about private adoption. 
I thought that it was somewhat of a weird question but as the conversation evolved I found out that Megan had a friend that worked at a coffee shop with a guy (Chris). Chris' ex-girlfriend was pregnant and they were looking to find a loving home for their unborn child. At that moment my heart dropped and I felt that God's plan was in motion. I could not believe that our prayers might have been answered!  
About a week later Donna called Max and talked to him about the adoption and we set up a day to meet. On February 13th we meet at Applebee's and let me tell you I was nervous, would they like us, would we be able to agree on the terms of the adoption, is this really happening? As it turns out everything went very well and at our second meeting we decided that we would pursue getting attorneys and moving forward with the adoption process. 
Donna and Chris invited us to go to all doctors appointments and to be in the delivery room when our baby boy was born. This gesture ment so much to Max and I because we were involved as much as possible and our hearts are truly grateful to Donna and Chris for this. On March 23rd Donna had an ultrasound we got to see the first live picture of our baby taken. What an amazing sight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment